FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. An FSSAI license is a permit issued by the FSSAI to run a food business. It makes sure that every food product meets at least the minimum standard of food safety.
Types of FSSAI License
In India, the permit for running a food business can be of following types.
- Central License: You need this if the annual turnover of your business is more than Rs. 20 Crores. Moreover, importers, 100 % EOUs and FBOs dealing in non-standardized products can only obtain a Central license.
- State License: You need this if the annual turnover for your business is more than Rs. 12 Lakh, but not more than Rs. 20 Crore.
- Registration: You need this if the annual turnover is not more than Rs. 12 Lakh.
Apart from this, a caterer cannot obtain a registration and it is compulsory for him to get a license.
Features of FSSAI License
- It displays a 14-digit number.
- It is compulsory for every food business to have a license/registration from FSSAI.
- A Central license is compulsory if the food business is operating in more than one state.
- Importers need only one license, that is, a Central license.
- Every food business operator (FBO) must comply with the conditions of the license.
- The FBO must display his license number as well as FSSAI logo on his food label.
Documents for FSSAI License
The list of documents will vary as per the type of license or registration. Following is a list of documents for each type.
- Photo of the food business operator.
- ID proof such as Voter ID, PAN card, Aadhar, passport, driving license etc.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from health authorities or municipality/panchayat (if any)
- Two copies of Form-B signed by the proprietor, partner, or authorized signatory.
- Layout plan of the food processing unit.
- List of directors/partners/members with full name as well as address. However, this is mandatory for companies only.
- ID proof and address proof for the above persons (issued by the government).
- Name, list and other details of machinery used for manufacture and processing.
- List of food category (for manufacturers).
- Authority letter
- Analysis report of water.
- Proof of ownership or possession of business premises, such as electricity bill or rent agreement.
- NOC from municipality or local body.
- Declaration Form (only for some states).
- Form-IX (for companies).
Moreover, you may need some additional documents depending on the type and nature of your business. We will provide you a specific checklist as per your needs.
Fee for FSSAI License
The government fee for registration, state license and central license starts from Rs. 100, Rs. 2,000 and Rs. 7,500 respectively. The professional fee starts from Rs. 1999.
Timeline for FSSAI License
We will file your application within 2 business days of receiving all details and documents from your end.
But the time taken for getting a license or registration may vary. This is because it depends on various factors. For instance, the state of registration or the type of business.
However, the usual time for registration or getting a license is 15 business days.
How PocketLawyer Can Help?
Do you need any help with financial reporting for your business? You can find a one-stop hassle free solution at PocketLawyer.
At PocketLawyer, you can post your requirement and get the best price quotation of lawyers as well as other professionals. These professionals are experts in commercial matters and can provide you their best services at affordable price.
Need any further help? Contact us now.